Sunday, June 17, 2007

Land of Cheese


Indonesians sometimes say white people smell like cheese.

I’ve asked around.

It’s true that I find Indonesians rarely have any detectable body odor. Every once in a while, I’ve observed, an unfortunate individual smells really, really bad. A good portion of that population have been in uniforms, and I think it might have to do with wearing the thick polyester sometimes used for official Busway costumes or similar positions. Leather jackets sometimes produce the same effect.

In any case, I can’t say I find foreigners smell particularly worse than Indonesians. I’ve had plenty of time standing elbow to elbow on crowded buses to collect data.

So I wonder of there’s something genetic at work here, or perhaps there’s a key dietary difference. Indonesians don’t eat much cheese. In fact, it’s pretty hard to get here. Maybe there are smell-producing hormones in the vegan-bane agent called renit?

Maybe we sweat more before we’ve acclimated to the heat?

I’ve had one Indonesia friend suggest that the PH level in our skin is more acidic.

Maybe they’re just being mean.

I’ve also heard that Japanese people say white people smell like rotting meat. At least here we smell like something palatable. I've dispatched a correspondent, Nick B., to investigate these claims. He'll be spending a month teaching English and polling Tokyo about his olfactory effect.

I’m wide open to suggestions and amateur research projects on this.

In the meantime, I’m looking forward to the trip home. It’ll be nice to be in the land where everyone smells like cheese.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, pleasant to read and informative.
Re: BO ( body odor)
Even in the US where most of us take at least one shower a day, wheather you need it or not, and use deodorant on the arm-pits, one is self conscious about hugging someone after two sets of tennis.
The fact is that sweat does not stink. But sweat, when left om the body makes a terrific breeding environment for bacteria. The prescence of staphlococcus aureous
is easily determined.
I once had a broken box of grated swiss cheese in my suitcase. The smell of which passers by in the hall-way at the penta hotel in London mistook for a broken sewer pipe.
But then again, I also like durian.

3:03 PM  
Blogger mr_john said...

I didn't know you started this up again... Actually, Asians (although specifically northeast Asians) do tend to have less BO than us whiteys, in fact, having body odour excluded you from eligibility for service in the Japanese military back in the day...

http://faqs.org/health/topics/69/Body-odor.html

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, nice blog. I'm Indonesian. Believe me, whites do not usually have strong body odor. Especially when they have shower at least once a day. What Indonesians said refers rather to the Dutch in the colonial era who, somehow, took only rare time for taking a bath; or some backpackers.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Gänseliesel said...

the german say that we - indonesian - smell like onion, maybe because we always use onion for cooking...
Ngrid

2:51 AM  
Blogger Gänseliesel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home