Sunday, March 19, 2006

Sounds


The city’s vast fleet of three-wheeled bajaj (bahj’-eye) and motorbikes goes largely unmuffled. The effect is a constant and undulating thunder. The sound reminds me most of a go-cart track. Last August, my friend and I went to a bike path outside of Bloomington to see if we could catch some of St. (x’s) shooting stars. The nearby race track was so loud that night we could barely hear each other call out sightings. The contrast between flatulent stock car and calm summer sky was dizzying. Here there’s no contrast at all. You just have to thrum along. I wonder when and if I’ll get used to the rumble.

I’m fascinated by the sounds of the ubiquitous vendor carts around the city. I’m told each kind of cart has its own sound so people can tell what kind of food or service may be passing by. I think we’ll collect recordings and make a soundscape of them at some point. Yesterday we collected the eerie electronic song of the ice cream cart. We’ve also heard a high wooden block sound from some kind of food cart. A cart covered with sloshing buckets made a short little howl – maybe from a wooden whistle?

I love the call to prayer. The distant, lonely sound stirs me the same as a train whistle. In Jakarta, the song comes from all directions in a kind of round. It’s most melancholic at dawn, when a single bay rises out of the dark, followed by a chorus of distant answers. The call makes me feel all at once like an insider and an outsider. There’s something about sound I understand – something desperate that moves me to tears if I’m alone. On the other hand, it underscores my separateness. This is not my culture. Not my language. This song, which is an invitation for most people here, is not meant for me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really look forward to reading your blogs. It's a welcome break in my day and I find I put it off just a little to savor it all the more for the delay. You really are helping a lot of us experience adventure from our safety nook.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chad, your sense of adventure and humor are a beacon of something for someone who is interested in something like you are doing.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Marie, Chuck, Jakers - glad to have you part of my day - this blog has been an important anti-ennui crutch as I limp through the adaptation. Days are certainly filled with weird and piquant adventures. Writing helps with digestion.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know where you've gotten this itch to see the world, Chad. I've made it as far west as Indiana and Ohio and as far East as Prince Edward Island with 99.9% of my life in Maine - I'v enjoyed traveling through you throughout Europe, across the Saraha, and across the U.S. by very cheap means. I don't really need to subscribe to National Geographic with you in my life. This blog, however, has been the most interesting of all - despite the distance, I can be right there with you as you and KS2 discover and interpret new experiences. It's how I start my day. Stay Safe.

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there chad,
i've really enjoyed reading your entries and the photographs are lovely too. keep up the wonderfully descriptive and vivid imagery! your food entry made my mouth water...

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Chad,

I was moved as I read through your early experiences in Indonesia ...but especially with the "call to prayer"... No matter where we are, Maine, Rome, or the desert...there is a Presence beyond us. One experiences a felt need to acknowledge this Presence...no matter the name we give to God. May you know God's blessings and protection early in the morning for the new day.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Hello, Cousin Syl!

So good to see your writing on this blog! I've been able to keep in touch with more family and friends this way than ever before. I appreciate your comments about the call to prayer. There is indeed something universal about the sound I hear coming from the mosque’s speakers five times a day. I heard it from a choir in St. Paul’s Cathedral in London, in the chanting of Tibetan Buddhist monks in Bloomington, the voices of musicians in Kilarney, Ireland, and in the prayers of the sisters at Castelgondolfo. To me, it’s a tone containing many contrasts. Lonlines and connection, joy and desperation, faith and pain. It does remind me of a wolf’s bay, and a train whistle in the distance. Here, the sound makes me feel like an insider and an outsider at the same time.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Eugene S said...

Lovved reading this thanks

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home